Would you like to see an all stainless V2?

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
zedex
God Shot

Would you like to see an all stainless V2?

Post by zedex »

Hi. I have a fabrication/machine shop and i'm batting around the idea in my head of an all SS V2. The sides 1/8 SS,contoured just like the originals. The tray would be a bit squarer on the front and would accommodate the timer. The drain tray would be angled toward the drain at back of tray . The grill would remove for the once in a while clean.
The hardest part would be all the tig welding and blending of the sides. The tray would be pretty easy.
Im thinking the machine would look super sleek with all brushed SS sides and tray, and the rest of the factory SS would remain shiny. It would only add about 15 lbs to the total weight of the machine. :blob:
Comments suggestions welcome. :grin:
Louis

Re: Would you like to see an all stainless V2?

Post by Louis »

zedex wrote:Hi. I have a fabrication/machine shop and i'm batting around the idea in my head of an all SS V2. The sides 1/8 SS,contoured just like the originals. The tray would be a bit squarer on the front and would accommodate the timer. The drain tray would be angled toward the drain at back of tray . The grill would remove for the once in a while clean.
The hardest part would be all the tig welding and blending of the sides. The tray would be pretty easy.
Im thinking the machine would look super sleek with all brushed SS sides and tray, and the rest of the factory SS would remain shiny. It would only add about 15 lbs to the total weight of the machine. :blob:
Comments suggestions welcome. :grin:
Hi,

Personally I'm not interested in stainless side panels/tray front, but if you could sell at a reasonable price an angled drain tray (which could fit inside the current plastic tray) and that would drain very well, I would be very interested!

You might also find some interest in a nicer looking mirror stainless/chromed drip tray, instead of the current grill.
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

If you decide to make side panels and a drip tray out of Stainless, I am in!!
It is not that I dislike the black sides but I think that the machine could look good with it. Beside I have one of my side panel that broke!! :-( I have no idea how this happened!? :shock: Being a clouts, I take full responsibility for the deed. :oops:

A brush finish would be nice but I understand that it is not the easiest to keep clean. People with stainless appliances may want to comment here.
The drip tray, for me, does not need to drain completely because it, I think, the water inside seem to help reducing the splattering. As for the grill, it really needs to stay a grill, or at least in certain places. I am thinking of reducing splattering during steam wand clearing and warming shot of the group.

The sides panels should have the fore and aft curvature that currently exist. Look at the wood panels that have been done with and without the curvature, (see here http://www.home-barista.com/marketplace ... 19908.html ) and you will see that this curvature is an important factor in the look of the machine.
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

Just though of it. Might as well turn portafilter handles as well.
Aluminium could be better to limit cost and weight.
I wounder if using a gasket between the the P/F and handle could reduce the heat transfer enough for the handle to stay acceptably cool enough.
If you need a Kickstart or seed money, let me know.
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

Hi. I doubt i would attempt to sell the SS side panels. It would not be cost effective. Way too much labour involved unless the person interested has deep pockets.Rough estimation $1000.The sides would be almost exactly like the originals with all the curves.It would have to be brushed, polishing is too expensive.With a non clear coat brush you just swipe it with a scotchbrite pad and its back to perfect brush and is pretty easy to keep clean. The tray would be a possibilty . I doubt a gasket on the PF would help heat transfer. My p/f handles dont get hot but they are the new style,not familiar with the old style. Aluminum handles would transfer heat worse than plastic IMO.
I did turn a tamper a while ago that is great. Very comfortable with a knurled center for puck polishing. I will take a pic of that and post it.

Return to “General Q&A”