Just took delivery of new pre-spring 2011 Vivaldi

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
BIGBERTHA

Just took delivery of new pre-spring 2011 Vivaldi

Post by BIGBERTHA »

So after much delib I decided to buy an S1 plumb in version. The only problem is that I thought I was getting the new rev, without plastic cup guards, etc. I really don't like the look of the earlier rev. Besides cosmetic differences, would there be any reason for me to complain about getting this particular version. Ps. I bought from caffetech in Edmonton.
slo
Barista

Re: Just took delivery of new pre-spring 2011 Vivaldi

Post by slo »

Welcome and congratulation.
All the changes that I know off are all cosmetics. For my part I tend to think that the changes are all for the best.
It is to be expected that a sub-supplier will have older units to clear before the new unit gets in. But in the case of Caffe Tech, since the Chris Coffee advertise the new machine and it sends you direct to Caffe Tech for Canadian order, I would think that you had a right to expect the latest configuration. I know that I would try.
Good luck.
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
Louis

Post by Louis »

slo wrote:All the changes that I know off are all cosmetics. For my part I tend to think that the changes are all for the best.
Another difference discussed was the fact that the copper/brass boilers are no longer nickel plated. This was seen by some as bad news.

See this thread for more: http://www.s1cafe.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1543
BeRad

Post by BeRad »

I would be a little disappointed if I just opened a $2k box and the absolute latest version wasn't inside. But FWIW, I would say the latest changes are due to cost-cutting measures rather than product enhancements so in the long run you might be better off. What serial number is yours? Mine starts w/ 2582xx and I'm pretty confident it was built in 8/11 or 9/11, maybe that can give you an idea as to how long yours may have been sitting on the shelf. Also, do you have the stamped panels, the new portafilters and just not the new cup guard or does yours have the S1 stickers, old portafilters, etc? I have a European version and it came w/ the new panels and portafilters but still w/ the plastic cup guard. Initially I was a little bummed and thought I would buy the new cup guard through CCS but after a few weeks the plastic one has grown on me (or at least when filled w/ cups it's so unobtrusive that I don't notice it) and now I think it would look funny w/out it. I wonder if the new design is exclusive to CCS and you have to buy directly through him to receive it? In any case, congratulations on the purchase.
BIGBERTHA

Post by BIGBERTHA »

Serial is 2567xx...doesn't have stamped panels (S1 stickers), doesn't have new portafilters, and has the old plastic cup guards.
oton

Post by oton »

BIGBERTHA wrote:Serial is 2567xx...doesn't have stamped panels (S1 stickers), doesn't have new portafilters, and has the old plastic cup guards.
And it really looks so awful? :roll:
BIGBERTHA

Post by BIGBERTHA »

The cup guard looks incredibly cheap and I do prefer the embossed logos over the stickers. The pressure gauge looks crooked too.
GDK
God Shot

Post by GDK »

The S1 logo is the perfect place for a timer. Embossed logo would not allow you to place a timer there - a plus in a way for the old logo. As for the gauge, remove the front plate and adjust the position of the gauge and the plate when you install it back so that the gauge appears straight as much as possible. I had similar problem but it was easily addressed.
oton

Post by oton »

BIGBERTHA wrote:The cup guard looks incredibly cheap and I do prefer the embossed logos over the stickers. The pressure gauge looks crooked too.
Mmm ok. Not my opinion. :smile: You should see how it's made a $2400 machine (Izzo Duetto, top range of DB machines according to some people). I'm sure you'll love how your S1 has been made.

Sharp edges damage the tank water silicone tubes.

Structure joints

S1 sticker? Look at this.

Could anyone give me a cup guard?

Endo

Post by Endo »

BIGBERTHA wrote:Serial is 2567xx...doesn't have stamped panels (S1 stickers), doesn't have new portafilters, and has the old plastic cup guards.
Reminds me of how my corner store moves the oldest milk to the front of the fridge! :lol:

Most changes are cosmetic. Actually, I prefer the older look. The new embossed logo means you can't use a magnetic shot timer, and the boiler gets ugly very quickly without the nickel plating. I even prefer the old rubber PF handles (reminds me of my hockey stick end!) :lol:

Two things I do prefer on the new machines is the top cover with chrome side. I find the plastic cup holder is ugly and fragile. (Though I simply removed mine). And the replacement of the noisy fan with a quiet SSR. This I would definitely want these if I bought new.
Last edited by Endo on Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
BeRad

Post by BeRad »

The embossing looks nice but I have to admit it makes the front look a little plain. Idealy it would have the embossed panel plus the pinstripe but Oton's pictures kind of put things into perspective and I guess we're just lucky we only have trivial issues to gripe about.

Regarding the plastic cup guard. My shot timer has both a clip and a magnet. With the magnet the timer inevitibaly ended up on the floor after each shot but clipping it to the cup guard works great so it does provide some value. Now why doesn't the machine have an integrated shot timer... Well, I'll just add that to my list of 'trivial gripes'.

Oton,
Looking forward to a comparison of your new machine and the S1 as well as a report on the K10 fresh. The K10F is on my short list for next year assuming I can manage to squirrel away some coffee money.
Endo

Post by Endo »

oton wrote: Mmm ok. Not my opinion. :smile: You should see how it's made a $2400 machine (Izzo Duetto, top range of DB machines according to some people). I'm sure you'll love how your S1 has been made.
Oton....what's with the sideward steps....you know you want the speedster. :lol:
BIGBERTHA

Post by BIGBERTHA »

Do you know if there is any way to retrofit machine to get the new cup tray?
BIGBERTHA

Post by BIGBERTHA »

Ok thanks for the link...though I'm confused by Endo's post to be honest...so I'll ask question here (also dropped question in the retrofit thread).

Can I upgrade to the new side guards and new cup warming tray? Pics of my config below:

BIGBERTHA

Post by BIGBERTHA »

Also, fixed the crooked gauge a bit (still a little off) here:

Return to “General Q&A”