Wooden side panels

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
chrisd

Wooden side panels

Post by chrisd »

Not sure if you guys have seen this, but Clive Coffee is now offering custom walnut side panels for the S1 Mini:

http://www.clivecoffee.com/learn/2011/0 ... i-vivaldi/

Looks pretty good, though I must admit I've been thinking about having some brushed aluminum side panels made (or at least finding out how much they'd cost me!)... :grin:
GDK
God Shot

Re: Wooden side panels

Post by GDK »

Brushed aluminum might be nice, but those wooden panels just do not do it for me. Espresso machines should stick to modern/European/contemporary styling. If any wood was to be put the the Vivaldi, it should be very light maple with subtle texture and zero knots (super extra grade, no country style or colonial appearance)... but it is still pushing it.
Endo

Post by Endo »

:pukeright: Puke. Definitely not for me. (Not to say I don't admire the effort).

I wonder what glass side panels (like the GS/3) would look like? Maybe with a chrome edge and a frosted "La Spaziale" badge in the center?

But to be honest, as long as the drip tray is plastic, anything but plastic side panels is going to look goofy.
chrisd

Post by chrisd »

Ha! Strong reactions :) I definitely think metal would be better (though, like Endo, glass could be interesting)

I might get in touch with some custom CNC companies, see what sort of quotes they could give. They could probably do a custom drip tray, too...
MichaelS

Post by MichaelS »

Anodized Aluminum! :D

Shame they didn't add some curves to it, as I think it could be a very sexy addition imo (though I would have chosen a more choice piece of wood for the 'demo' picture myself). I've looked close at this and considered doing it myself (I've a full production wood shop at my disposal) but the effort would not be trivial to do well as I believe it must be to look ideal.

michael
bonganim

Post by bonganim »

One man's flesh...
greenkiwi

Post by greenkiwi »

I went to their site and it looks like the production versions have a bit more curvature and look quite nice.

$500 for walnut, $700 for the other two options.
Endo

Post by Endo »

They have a YouTube video posted as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... uItbLYv4hc

Defintely not my taste, but perhaps those that like wood parts on their PF handles and such might be interested.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

The side covers are pretty but neither wood I've seen works well with the black drip tray.
az erik

Post by az erik »

Needs to be Wenge, at least that way it'd match the tray and 90% of my wood around the house :) I was going to make some side panels myself but not so sure I'll post them up now :P
symbology

Post by symbology »

Glass would not good at all IMO. The frame on the S1 is not like the GS3. All the glass will allow is for you to see the inner stamped metal side wall. Not pretty.
BeRad

Post by BeRad »

Unfortunately, as symbology stated glass is definitely out.

My LaSpaziale dealer recently had an open house to show off the new La Marzocco machines they're carrying which included a glass-sided GS3. Seeing the GS3 in person for the first time I was very surprised at what a compact and attractive looking machine it was. The glass sides are a must have on that. I have to admit I was a little embarrased for the suddenly awkward-looking red S1 sitting next to it.

I never intended to upgrade beyond the S1 as I'm sure I couldn't discern a difference in the cup but just based on looks alone I think I might start stashing away a few dollars for a future GS3. It certainly has a high WAF and with the small footprint she might not even realize it comes w/ a huge price tag.

I didn't get around to pulling any shots on the GS3 to compare shot quality. We had full access to a two-group Strada (also w/ glass sides) so the other machines didn't see much action. W/ a dozen fresh coffess to taste and nearly as many grinders to play with the open house was like a mini-barista fantasy camp.

Well, the S1 may not be the best looking machine on the block (even w/ the plastic sides and drip tray I still prefer it to 99% of the stuff out there) but I will say that after tasting the espresso it makes my friends don't ask too many questions about why I choose this one over a flashier chrome machine.
Dan Bollinger

Post by Dan Bollinger »

Geez those wood side panels are horrid! Looks like #2 pine cut with a sabre saw and dipped in stain. They aren't even hardwood. And where's the sculpting? Not even bull-nose edges.

I got the gray side panels. I intend on airbrushing them...

Return to “General Q&A”