steaming Milk

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
badgerbimmer

steaming Milk

Post by badgerbimmer »

I am experiencing a steaming issue, I think. Occasionally, yesterday twice, the steaming boiler doesn't seem to work well. Generally this only occurs on the first drink. The first drink the milk won't foam well at all, the next drink the foaming is great. Yesterday neither drink foamed well. Do I have a boiler problem?
Endo

Re: steaming Milk

Post by Endo »

More details required.

Is it an regular S1 or a Mini?
What's your steam boiler pressure?
Is you boiler refilling properly?
Is the tip fully cleaned of milk quickly after each milk drink?
Do you test it for full steam pressure before turning it off to make sure the holes are not blocked with milk?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

With most espresso machines a fair amount of water will condense in the plumbing between the boiler and the steam valve. Before each steaming session you need to turn on the steam and purge all that water until just "dry" steam is coming out. If you don't, the symptoms are pretty much what you've described.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
badgerbimmer

Post by badgerbimmer »

I have the Mini, new with the 4 hole steam tip. the boiler pressure is just below 1.35 bar. i purge before steaming. wipe dow and purge after steaming. i believe the boiler is refilling as i hear the pump operating after steaming or making an Americano, although how do i really know? the red light for "don't steam" does not go on. the odd thing to me is the inconsistency, i don't do anything differently each time.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Are you in 15A mode or 20A mode?

Also, try pushing the "hot water" button for 5 seconds. Does the pump go on for a while afterwards?
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

I don't have the mini so I can't comment on how long you can steam before the boiler refills or how much water you can take out from the hot water tap before refilling. However, based upon my learning curve with the Vivaldi I would suggest that it is potentially your technique needing to become adjusted to the Vivaldi that is generating your inconsistency.

Do you have your milk and pitcher cold when you start steaming?
Which 4 hole tip is it (there are different hole sizes)? Endo and other mini owners can comment on their experience with the different tips on the mini.

What kind of milk are you using, how much and in what size pitcher?

How much experience steaming milk did you have prior to receiving the mini? Are you aiming for latte art quality microfoam or a dryer foam?

Good luck,
Mark
badgerbimmer

Post by badgerbimmer »

After using the hot water, the boiler refills (i.e. the pump goes on). After this input, as much as it pains me to say, I think it is technique......
richardcoffee
God Shot

Post by richardcoffee »

My own experience is that I have difficulty with the new 4 hole tip. I just don't quite know where to put it in the milk. The best I've found is to put it right in the middle but it seems to me it was designed to remove operator error. As a result, there seems to be little I can do to make better steamed milk with this tip. Therefore, I use the 2 hole and find it's faster and better. It does require me to focus all my attention because I steam 4 ounces of milk in just a few seconds - I'm guessing about 10.
Endo

Post by Endo »

It takes a LOT of "trial and error" to find a steaming technique that works. It seems most people play with pitchers, tips and wand position for several months, until they finally find something that works.

For me, I found the best results with the stock 4 hole tip (the new 4 hole is a bit too slow for me) and the tapered 15 oz pitcher. I keep the tip exactly in the middle and perfectly steady. I simply sink it after 4 seconds at the surface and let it mix the bubbles for 21 seconds (for 6 oz of milk). It seems the less movement the better...and getting a toroid swirl works best.

Other have found other techniques that work, but for me, this is what I need for good latte art.

I used to think the Vivaldi was a poor steamer, but after buying my Cremina, I now consider it one of the better ones. The Cremina is MANY times harder.

Patience. That's the key. It will come.
badgerbimmer

Post by badgerbimmer »

thanks for the tips.
expy98

Post by expy98 »

I usually steam about 2-3oz of milk at a time in 12oz pitcher and couldn't do it w/ the .9mm 4 hole tip.
Plugged up 2 holes w/ toothpicks and it's just about perfect. I've tried it w/ even less than 2oz
of milk in a 5oz pitcher and it seems to work ok but didn't try it more than a few times. Haven't tried
removing the toothpicks neither, good enuf is good enuf. The key for me was to stretch a lot less like 2 secs,
I was used to stretching a lot longer w/ my previous machine w/ lesser steaming power than the Mini.
badgerbimmer

Post by badgerbimmer »

Using the tips above I am now making great pitchers of foamed milk. No tip mods just technique.

Thanks all!
gene

Post by gene »

The foaming process is so simple with La Spaz to this rank amatuer it is the simplest thing in the espresso process.

Very crucial to clear water in front of every steaming sequence. I always purge for three seconds and two seconds later another three seconds and quickly plunge into 4-5oz milk in toroid pitcher. After plunging tip into bottom in exact center, stretch for 2-3 seconds, and leave wand to do its thing for next 21-23 seconds while I'm concentrating on the shot pulling simultaneously. The caveat is I'm able to clean the wand with a wet rag and purge before shot finishes, which is in 35 second range. Gives more time to finish latte art on each shot.....Gotta lot to love about this advantage.

Fantastic foam!
gene

Return to “General Q&A”