Rotary pump: is mine too noisy?

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
Louis

Rotary pump: is mine too noisy?

Post by Louis »

I've had my Vivaldi II for about four months now.

I've never seen another S1 in use in front of me but from what I've seen in videos on the web, I think mine is making more noise than what I expected.

I've contacted Chris Coffee (email) and Jason asked me to call them to discuss the issue on the phone and let him hear what I hear. I haven't taken the time to do so yet (need to call during working hour, during which, of course, I'm not home). I've opened it up completely and ensured there was no contact between the motor/pump with any part of the frame, etc. I've disconnected the motor from the pump and it is almost silent. The pump is easy to turn by hand using a flat screwdriver. Once attached, the pump itself vibrates and this vibration gets transmitted to the whole machine.

My questions to other users would then be:
- Is it normal for a rotary pump to vibrate?
- Is it normal to feel this vibration while holding the portafilter handle?
- Does it indicates a problem or not?
slo
Barista

Re: Rotary pump: is mine too noisy?

Post by slo »

Louis wrote:- Is it normal for a rotary pump to vibrate
Yes.
Louis wrote:- Is it normal to feel this vibration while holding the portafilter handle?
Yes.
Louis wrote:- Does it indicates a problem or not?
That really depends on the amount of vibration.

When the motor starts the whole Vivaldi moves a bit from the inertia of the motor rotor. After that there is a hum which is in effect the sound produced by a vibration. On my machine the vibration that can be felt on the P/F handle is very slight.
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
Endo

Post by Endo »

You Montreal guys should get together and compare relative noise levels over an afternoon espresso! :smile:
peter

Post by peter »

I notice with my machine, every time I disconnect the water supply it takes a few days before it quiets down again... might be air in the system. It sounds like you've had yours apart a lot. Will it be noisy always, even after a few weeks of use.
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

Endo wrote:You Montreal guys should get together...
Did YOU move out of town? :cry:
I have been thinking about a S1 Montreal homeroasting/espresso tasting get together for a while now... Anyway Louis or anyone else is always welcome here for a cup of fresh roasted and lovingly pulled cup of 'spro. Hardware noise not guaranteed!

slo
Barista

Post by slo »

peter wrote:I notice with my machine, every time I disconnect the water supply it takes a few days before it quiets down again... might be air in the system. It sounds like you've had yours apart a lot. Will it be noisy always, even after a few weeks of use.
Peter is correct! Air in the system will indeed create bubbles and vibration.
If you want to speed up the "recovery" time, empty the steam boiler a couple of time. This "large" flow of water should move most of the bubbles.

Louis

Post by Louis »

slo wrote:- Is it normal for a rotary pump to vibrate? -- Yes.
- Is it normal to feel this vibration while holding the portafilter handle? -- Yes.
- Does it indicates a problem or not? -- That really depends on the amount of vibration.

When the motor starts the whole Vivaldi moves a bit from the inertia of the motor rotor. After that there is a hum which is in effect the sound produced by a vibration. On my machine the vibration that can be felt on the P/F handle is very slight.
Thanks Sylvain. It seems it was not the noise being too high but rather my expectations.

Return to “General Q&A”