Softener Grossness

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
Endo

Softener Grossness

Post by Endo »

I did a blank water shot into a glass container today to measure volume. Look what I got !! :puke:
Softener Residue?
Softener Residue?
IMG_3078.JPG (48.29 KiB) Viewed 9776 times
It seems to be some white suspended particles. I just installed a new Mini reservoir BestCup softener yesterday. I suspect these cloudy particles are somehow related. After about 6 shots (basically emptied the boiler), it cleared up.

Another good reason to skip the reservoir softener and use 50/50 RO water and tap ! (And especially since my last Mini softener cost me $35 !! :shock: Insane!!!).

So, if you decide to use the softener, I suggest the following

1. Soak the softener in a glass for a hr to activate
2. Install in reservoir, add water and pull 4 water shots. Leave overnight.
3. Next morning, empty reservoir, refill with fresh water, and pull 6 water shots into a clear glass until no white residue remains.
oton

Re: Softener Grossness

Post by oton »

Never seem that residue. I just change the filter; I've pulled a few water shots but I can't see anything in the cup... Anyway, it's good to know it to pay attention when change the filter.

$35? USD? Why so expensive? :shock:
Endo

Post by Endo »

oton wrote:Never seem that residue. I just change the filter; I've pulled a few water shots but I can't see anything in the cup.
Perhaps the residue came from somewhere else? I'll keep a close eye to see if it repeats in 3 months when I change softener again.
oton wrote:$35? USD? Why so expensive? :shock:
I know. It's a total rip-off. This is what happens when you have too many middle-men and only one source. Best-Cup - > LaSpaziale - > Chris Coffee -> Coffee-Tech -> me. Everybody adds $5 for themselves and a $5 part becomes $35. Disgraceful.

I've been able to get them as low as $20 at Chris Coffee, ($5 off when I purchased other items as well). But the ultimate was when the jokers at my Montreal LaSpaziale retailer asked me to pay $55 for one after waiting over 1 year for it to be ordered. Unbelievable. :roll:

But really, nobody should using these stupid things. Go 50/50 (RO and tap water) or if you don't like going to the store for RO, install the big S1 softener system in your house.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Here's what I got out of my brew boiler after opening it up for descaling. I had just installed the Rancilio Silvia cartridge softener.

Looks almost exactly the same as what came out of the BestCup. The water dries and leaves a white dust, so I must assume it's some resin/salt combo that doesn't dissolve. Totally disgusting whatever it is.
Rancilio Softener Residue
Rancilio Softener Residue
2011-08-16 010 (360x251).jpg (77.9 KiB) Viewed 9600 times
oton

Post by oton »

Sure it will add "mouthfeel" to the cup. :D
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I guess that's why for external filter systems the carbon filter goes after the softener AND they recommend to run about a gallon into a bucket before connecting to your machine. With a Mini is there anyway to flush a cartridge before connecting it?
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Endo

Post by Endo »

chas wrote:I guess that's why for external filter systems the carbon filter goes after the softener AND they recommend to run about a gallon into a bucket before connecting to your machine. With a Mini is there anyway to flush a cartridge before connecting it?
Yes there is. Next time I'll draw a few litres of water through it using my 100ml Syringe and 1/4" silicone tubing.

Or perhaps by then I'll simply have my under-sink filter/softener system and mini-faucet installed.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Endo wrote:Or perhaps by then I'll simply have my under-sink filter/softener system and mini-faucet installed.
:thumbright:
txrpls

Post by txrpls »

We did the whole house and the under the sink thing about 4 months ago. What a difference in our glasses. My double insulated tervis tumblers i use for drinking water are now clear again Glasses come out of the dish washer with no residue. Best money spent my wife talked me into.
richardcoffee
God Shot

Post by richardcoffee »

I had some white residue on top of a puck one time - thought it was some left over Joe Glo - but that didn't make sense. Anyhow, I have the under sink system on the way - The faucet is already installed ..... and my back hurts.

Return to “General Q&A”