Ordering Vivaldi II, need help

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
jaym3

Ordering Vivaldi II, need help

Post by jaym3 »

Hi all, I am finally getting rid of my Breville and ordering a Vivaldi II. I've always wanted a 'prosumer' espresso machine so I am greatly looking forward to this. I have some questions for those of you who own one or who are more experienced in these higher end machines, as I am very new to them.

Just to clarify my use, I probably pull 4-6 shots per day, probably more when I get this lol. It's just for myself and friends when they come by. As for the reasons I chose this machine, it's pretty clear after searching the CoffeeGeek forum that this is a stellar machine at a reasonable price point, and I'd have to pay WAY more to get anything better. It seems to suit my use and reliability requirements. I also want to make sure I am getting a machine that I will have for a long while and not outgrow very quickly.

As for my questions:

1) What sort of additional items should I consider adding to the Vivaldi? They have quite a few options for it: longer arm, no burn steam arm, drain kit, filter system, softener system, etc. Are there things that any of you wish you had gotten when you bought it, or find that you cannot live without? I think I am going to get the softener and filter... seems like cheap insurance.

2) Can you explain to me the benefits / drawbacks of a bottomless portafilter? From what I have read, it is supposed to be a good 'trainer' but I am not sure how? What exactly am I being trained in? :) Also, does it make better espresso? Any drawbacks?

3) Anything else? :)

Thanks!

-J
oton

Re: Ordering Vivaldi II, need help

Post by oton »

Welcome :grin:
jaym3 wrote:
3) Anything else? :)
Are you going to buy a grinder, right?
jaym3 wrote:2) Can you explain to me the benefits / drawbacks of a bottomless portafilter? From what I have read, it is supposed to be a good 'trainer' but I am not sure how? What exactly am I being trained in? :) Also, does it make better espresso? Any drawbacks?
In the case of the Vivaldi, the bottomless PF (with a triple basket) is not only for training, It's a must if you want to pull the typical +20 grams US shots; otherwise you can't.
You training to pull good shots :) This machine is not "automatic", you are not going to get automaticaly the same good shots everytime, sometimes it will be good, other average or bad. It depends of your coffee, your grinder, dose size, your tamping... it depends of how you operate with all the variables involving of espresso making.

http://www.home-barista.com/naked-extra ... blems.html
jaym3

Post by jaym3 »

Thanks! Yeah I have a Rancillio Rocky doserless right now but once I get used to this machine (and my wallet recovers) I will probably get a more precise grinder.

Ok, bottomless portafilter it is! I actually spoke to Mary @ Chris Coffee this morning and she said the same thing re: grinder and pf. I am new to high end machines like I said, and to making what I'd say is proper espresso, so I need the training tools.

-J
Endo

Post by Endo »

Don't forget to get a 53mm tamper (Espro is best if you are training).
michael
God Shot

Post by michael »

got to get the new triple basket with the bottomless portafilter

i also like the slightly longer s5 steam arm 8)
Endo

Post by Endo »

and a spare diffuser block....and a 16 oz Motta Europa pitcher....and a timer.... :lol:
jaym3

Post by jaym3 »

Thanks all :) After reading all the posts here and on coffeegeek I went ahead and ordered:

- Black 20A La Spasiale Vivaldi II
- Converter Cord
- Bottomless Portafilt: La Spaziale w/Triple Basket
- Softener System: 3/8" Softening System
- Cafelat Royal Tamper: Black Royal 53 mm convex
- Bumper Tamper Holder
- Cafelat Tamping Mats: Cafelat Flat Mat
- Regulator Valve: 3/8" Regulator
- Water Pressure Gauge
- Steaming Thermometer
- Double Spouted 3oz Shotglass
- Pro Steaming Pitcher 12 ounce
- Pro Steaming Pitcher 20 ounce

The Motta Europa looks sweet, but it was too $$$ and it's not like I can try it out... I think I will try the Pro's, for the price, and then decide if I want the Motta. I also didn't bother with the longer steam arm as I guess it's hard to purge over the drip tray and it's only really valuable if you steam in larger pitchers.

I sent pics of the piping under my sink to Chris Coffee, they are going to take a look and make sure I have everything I need to hook it up. If not, I'll just have them add whatever I need to the order. If all goes well I will be hooking this puppy up tomorrow / Saturday!

-J

Return to “General Q&A”