I only have 4 months to decide what machine to get

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
paulfl

I only have 4 months to decide what machine to get

Post by paulfl »

I am planning on getting a new machine in February to replace my crappy and sub standard Gaggia Evolution. I've been to Chris' and Mary showed me the s1. I was planning on getting the mini viv 2 as the steam switch seems better than the v2s knob. I read in the mini part of this forum that proper steaming of 4oz of milk is very hard with the on off switch of the mini and is better with the knob of the V2. Is this really a big issue? Should I get the v2 in stead of the mini? Any thoughts would be appreciated.....
MDL
Barista

Re: I only have 4 months to decide what machine to get

Post by MDL »

Having never used a mini I can't comment on the steam lever vs. knob issue directly. However, I can tell you that I love having my SI plumbed in so that I don't have to think about filling or cleaning a tank. Steaming with the SI is great after you get used to the power that it has. Having never had an issue with the knob I don't know what you mean when you say that "the steam switch seems better than the v2s knob"?

My suggestion is to plumb in an SI if you can and I imagine that you will never look back...
BobUSN

Post by BobUSN »

I'm with MDL!
paulfl

Post by paulfl »

MDL wrote: Having never had an issue with the knob I don't know what you mean when you say that "the steam switch seems better than the v2s knob"?

The switch on the mini is on/off where as with the dial on the v2 I assume can be turned to let more steam or less steam come out..??
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

Again, I can't comment on the mini steam lever.

On the SI the knob is a valve that opens progressively as you turn it so that you can control the steam very well. I believe that the lever on the mini is also a valve and not an on/off binary lever, but someone who has a mini will have to confirm.
michael
God Shot

Post by michael »

go for the plumbed-in machine if you can 8)
Endo

Post by Endo »

Knobs are for knobs. Having used both, I can say the lever is much better (once you get used to it).

The lever is directly from the professional S5 machine. Flip it on instantly and you can concentrate with two hands on the pitcher. (Watch any cafe to get an idea).

The lever is on or off, like on any pro machine. You learn to control the steam using propr technique (by tip position rather than fiddling with a knob which only distracts you). Once used to it, you'll never go back.

The Mini works just as well as the regular S1 but has the added advantage of not needing to hook up all the plumbing (which is great for people who move or rent).

The regular S1 is the one to get if you are too lazy to fill the reservoir every 3 days, or if you need the extra hot water from the larger steam boiler.

By the way, the Mini out sells the regular S1 by 60/40 and it's cheaper. So don't be scared off the Mini.
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

I think that both model have benefits.

Despite the fact that Endo thinks that it is for lazy people, a plumbed-in version is so much more enjoyable, in my very humble opinion, than a tank machine. I will NEVER EVER buy a tank type machine ever again.

I must admit that a flick type steam lever is very easy to use. But again, IMHO, the rotary valve control allows modulating the output that provide for so much better control and more flexibility.

Think of what you did like about your Gaggia and what you did not like, the answer should come by itself.
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
Endo

Post by Endo »

I think plumbed in is nice, but not really as big a deal as others make out. Remember, unless you have the drain kit (which has its problems of its own), you 'll be walking to the sink every 2 days anyway to empty it. While its out, the reservoir slides right out (it's WAY easier to remove than any other machine out there and holds 3 litres). So just bring it to the sink with you and fill it up. No extra effort.
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

While, truly it is not a huge deal, plumbed-in is for me a feature that is well worth the price difference. And you get a larger steam boiler, a rotary pump, programmable pre-infusion as "bonus" for that price increase.

Endo brings a good point, plumbed-in without a drain connection is really only half the step I am talking about. To me the most tedious task between filling a tank and draining the drip tray is by far draining the drip tray. When I bought the Vivaldi, there was no question in my mind that I would install a drain connection.

The La Spaziale drain connection for the Vivaldi has been working out with mixed success for the users indeed. But a home made connection can be made at a fraction of the price. Many examples are available on this site.
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
peter

Post by peter »

Your water source may also play a part in the decision; my tap water is moderately hard, so I wanted to plumb in a softening cartridge. Filling a reservoir from the tap may not be a good option for Paul.
Endo

Post by Endo »

peter wrote:Your water source may also play a part in the decision; my tap water is moderately hard, so I wanted to plumb in a softening cartridge. Filling a reservoir from the tap may not be a good option for Paul.
Not really a reason at all.

The Mini comes with a mini softening cartridge that fits in the resevoir. You use tap water and replace the filter every 3 months . So it's no different than the plumbed in version.

If you don't like that method, you also have the option of using a 5G jug of RO or distilled water from a water cooler. In fact, with the Mini resevoir you can mix it any way you like (50% tap, 50% RO)....whatever you like to get the right balance of taste vs scale.
peter

Post by peter »

Endo wrote:
peter wrote:Your water source may also play a part in the decision; my tap water is moderately hard, so I wanted to plumb in a softening cartridge. Filling a reservoir from the tap may not be a good option for Paul.
Not really a reason at all.

The Mini comes with a mini softening cartridge that fits in the resevoir. You use tap water and replace the filter every 3 months . So it's no different than the plumbed in version.

If you don't like that method, you also have the option of using a 5G jug of RO or distilled water from a water cooler. In fact, with the Mini resevoir you can mix it any way you like (50% tap, 50% RO)....whatever you like to get the right balance of taste vs scale.
Thanks for that clarification!

Return to “General Q&A”