Reverse Osmosis and Input Pressure

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
RoninTech
Latte

Reverse Osmosis and Input Pressure

Post by RoninTech »

Hi all,

We are going through the process of purchasing a Spaz V2. My plan was to connect it to our RO drinking water supply. Before we had RO, you could see the scale build up in our kettle and coffee maker in just a short period of usage. After the RO installation everything stays in like-new condition with absolutely no build-up. We don't have any issues with the water taste and eat healthily so aren't worried about loss of mineral intake. :grin:

Most RO systems use a pressurized bladder tank to store and dispense the filtered water. These units are usually pressurized to 7-9psi. This setup (Kinetico VX) currently feeds our ice-maker and drinking water tap. When filling the kettle you can really see how slow the output is.

I've read about max pressure and use of regulators and I've seen many references to folks using RO water but no mention of the low pressure aspects of these setups. So, does the V2 have a minimum input pressure requirement? Thanks!
Cheers,
Paul
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
JmanEspresso

Re: Reverse Osmosis and Input Pressure

Post by JmanEspresso »

Technically, low pressure input shouldn't affect the normal operation, because the pump will drive the water to the puck.

BUT, the VII uses Line Pressure for its Pre-infusion.. at only 9PSI, you will have barely a trickle of water for the PI. Most people generally are set between 2-4BAR Line Pressure.

You MIGHT be able to use an Accumulator on the line, which will even out the pressure(and in this case, raise it). The Accumulator is a bladder tank, most often used with the Flo-Jet demand pump, to use a plumbed machine without actually plumbing in. Im not sure, but maybe you can install the Accumulator in line to raise the line pressure.

The other thing I worry about is the amount of water available to you. I have a Culligan RO drinking water setup. It ONLY feeds a single faucet, used for drinking water. Aside from the fact that RO water makes terrible coffee without a secondary Calcite filter in the line.. I dont have enough water from that system to feed my machine. IDK how your system works, but, mine, I can only fill up about a gallon container, and then literally there is no more water until the system refills itself. For an espresso machine, thats no good. Are you able to continously, 100%, near indefinte run the RO water, like you would a faucet, for as long as you desire, without running out of water?

Aside from that.. If you end up using the RO line to feed your machine, you will need to buy a Carbon Calcite Filter, which will ADD minerals to the water. Two reasons. 1)RO water makes terrible coffee.. You simply need minerals in the water for good coffee. The coffee can't extract properly without them. 2)the machine needs to sense minerals in the water for the boilers to fill properly. If it doesnt sense mineral presence, the boilers will never stop filling, and eventually overfill. Chris' Coffee has the Filter you need.. You MAY also need a simple sediment filter as well.. Im not sure. However, IMO, when plumbing in, even if you have IDEAL coffee water, a sediment filter is always a good idea.
RoninTech
Latte

Post by RoninTech »

Hi JMan,

lol! We both gave good descriptions of accumulators. The Spaz VII does require higher than accumulator pressures for the PI to work so we went with a mini (also skipped the mechanical PI). The water output of our RO system is more than adequate to meet the peak rate of coffee production we will ever see.

I completely disagree with your statement about RO water "making terrible coffee", but to each their own. :bom:
Cheers,
Paul
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

RoninTech wrote:I completely disagree with your statement about RO water "making terrible coffee", but to each their own. :bom:
I use RO with mineralisator and suggest you do the same - add mineralisator to the system.
Possibility of trying espresso wothout it I had only on lever.

Return to “General Q&A”