Can it be coffee grinds coming out of the steam wand?

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
SimonSoCal

Can it be coffee grinds coming out of the steam wand?

Post by SimonSoCal »

I haven't been getting much explosure with the VII due to my recent illness[btw, I should I should also give a shout out thanks to Chas for passing on a great piece of machinery to a noobie like myself]. Just today, I fire up VII after 2wks dormant, I got a chance to try my skills on making a capp. After not so successful in frothing the milk, I went on and do the usual clean up with wiping the wand and turning the steam full blast to give a flush. And because the machine is on a wooden tabletop, I usually catch all the steam and water drips with a tall hard-plastic cup. Now that when I noticed few black particles inside the cup.

Does anyone have this similar experience? Are those black particles are coffee grinds or debris from the boiler?
Can coffee grinds get to the steam boiler if this is a dual boilers system? [ I'm asking b/c I'm still in a learning process]

I should I also add that this has happen to me on few occasion even before I was sick and was using the machine on more frequent basis. Appreciate the help.
Endo

Re: Can it be coffee grinds coming out of the steam wand?

Post by Endo »

There is no way for coffee grounds to get in the steam boiler. The most likely scenario is some "cross contamination" between your portafilter and your cup.

If you are sure it's coming from your boiler, simply remove the filter from the hot water tap and have a close look at the screen. Anything trapped in the filter? Next, with the screen still out, pull some hot water into a cup and see if that also has grounds. If so,then it would confirm there is something in your steam boiler and not your cup or wand. In which case I would then drain the steam boiler and see what comes out.
SimonSoCal

Post by SimonSoCal »

Thanks Endo.
I did able to pick one of the tiny piece of particle and pressed again my thumb and finger. It smears like ink. I wonder could its come from the 0-rings or rubber parts?

I will try to call Chris on Monday and if I have time tomorrow I will try to take your advise and remove the screen from the hot water.
Thanks again.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Turn off the machine & let the steam boiler cool off. Once cool remove the drain plug from the bottom of the steam boiler, catch the water in a shallow pan & inspect for scale or your black particles.

I'd also unscrew the steam wand & soak it in some hot Cafizia solution.
SimonSoCal

Post by SimonSoCal »

I think I found the problem.
Thanks you to JohnB .
As I detached the wand and discovered a bad o-ring that badly need replacement. See photo.
I also took Endo advised and removed the screen from the hot water and purch out some water and discovered no black particle in the cup.
Thus, I believed somehow the rubber from the o-ring got into the tube.
At this time, I don't have the replacement part but I took one of the o-ring from a spare nozzle tip [the bigger diameter tip that came with the machine] and placed in. Hopefully it will work.

John B -thanks again for your help. Btw, can you direct me to the link or photos of how to disassemble the steam boiler?
Although I did to not do it yet but I ought to learn how to disassemble the boiler. THanks.
The one on the right is the bad o-ring from steam attachment.
The one on the right is the bad o-ring from steam attachment.
IMG_2257.jpg (47.54 KiB) Viewed 9215 times
Attachments
This is where the o-ring came from--after I clean up the threads
This is where the o-ring came from--after I clean up the threads
IMG_2258.jpg (32.29 KiB) Viewed 9215 times
Endo

Post by Endo »

No problem.

The smeared black ink is what happens to a rubber o-ring once it breaks down. Looks like someone sprayed some solvent (petroleum distillate) into the ball joint section of the steam wand to loosen it up. Big no, no.

Good news though....any easy fix.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Simon:

The reason you didn't have that particular gasket in the set I sent you, is that it was the last gasket I replaced before I sold it to you. Since it is the newest gasket on the machine, it's hard to believe the shape it is in since it hasn't seen much wear. As Endo noted, did you squirt any lubricant into the ball valve that might have drained down onto that gasket? There's not much on these machines that ever needs lubrication. However, if you do, the only viable option is food grade silicon.

Also, the steam boiler was completely disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled shortly before I sold it to you. While it is good to open the drain nut on the bottom and drain the boiler from time to time, there should be no need to disassemble the boiler any time soon. YMMV depending on the type of kitchen sink you have. If it is a typical double kitchen sink, the feet on the S1 are just wide enough that it can straddle the sink while you remove the brass nut that sticks down through a hole in the bottom of the chassis and let it drain into the sink.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
BobUSN

Post by BobUSN »

chas wrote:Simon:
If it is a typical double kitchen sink, the feet on the S1 are just wide enough that it can straddle the sink while you remove the brass nut that sticks down through a hole in the bottom of the chassis and let it drain into the sink.
...and scald the dickens out of your hand in the process. :oops:

It may seem like it should go without saying, but don't forget to let the boiler and water cool down first.

Glad to hear it was such a simple fix!
SimonSoCal

Post by SimonSoCal »

I sorry but I must of mess up back when I had my trouble with the loose connector between the 2 flat nut and the wand. I used some , what I thought was ,food grade lubicant a the ball and nut area to loosen the joint and thinking it will help to make the wand less binding to the 2-sided nut. Well, it never slove the problem but it didn't leaks no steam so I just left it alone. Guess more trouble than good.

Thanks for all your help. Unfortunately, I seldom can enjoy making a good cup because my kids are taking turn getting ill. Nevermind, I dont want to burden you guys with my personal life. Thanks again.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Don't worry, it's just an espresso machine o-ring. If it makes you feel better, I've encountered this several times on aircraft engines as well. Seems I have to beat the mechanics over the head with their cans of WD-40.

Return to “General Q&A”