Stand By Light?

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
mdrew

Stand By Light?

Post by mdrew »

Hello,

I'm a new Vivaldi II owner. I've had the machine for a few days now and still learning how to use it. I also bought a Vario grinder and am learning how to use that too. I moved from a super-auto to this type of machine. I have a new found appreciation for baritsas in general.....

With the machine I also bought the timer. I have it programmed to turn the machine on at 4:30 AM and off at 10:00 AM Mon - Sun.

When the machine times off, the Stand By light continues to flash. I may have missed it in the manual, but I have read it a few times, seached this sight and could not find any reference to this. Is this normal?

thanks........... mike
JohnB

Re: Stand By Light?

Post by JohnB »

Yes, the Stand-By light is supposed to flash. If it doesn't then you have lost power to the machine.
mdrew

Post by mdrew »

Bummer. Kind of iritating having a light blink all the time. Thanks.
JmanEspresso

Post by JmanEspresso »

You could just unplug the machine(though, this voids the purpose of a timer).

But, honestly.. how annoying could the blinking light be... you can even see the light unless you're infront of the machine.

If it's really annoying.. leave the machine on. Personally, I never understand why, with prosumer machines, people don't just leave it on 24/7. Especially with the Vivaldi, since for those worried about some excess use of power, you can turn off the steam boiler when you don't need it. Personally, Im so used to never having to wait to have the machine warm up.. "Hmm, I think Ill have some coffee"... BINGO! Machine is 100% thermally stable, cups are hot, and Im making coffee without waiting for anything. Love it.
mdrew

Post by mdrew »

Blinking lights blink for a reason, to attract attention. I find it irritating. I’ll get over it though. I only drink coffee in the morning. It just seams senseless to me for the machine to be on 24/7. I’m also a part time fire fighter. Appliances with heating elements left on and left unattended burn houses down. They fail. Not all, and not all the time or even all that frequently, but why take an unnecessary risk? I turn all my appliances off that are not necessary to be left on (refrigerator, boiler, etc).
Endo

Post by Endo »

You're a fireman....you should love flashing lights. :lol:

Doesn't bother me. Seems pretty normal if you ever owned a Blackberry.

I agree about not leaving things on if you don't need to. I find the machine lasts longer that way. Plastic, and rubber gets less dried out due to the heat. Less scale builds up in the boilers. Fan lasts longer. Stuff doesn't look as baked on inside. Etc, etc. Besides, it's greener.

If I had 10 shots a day I'd consider it. But since I use the machine only before work and after, I turn it off in between and overnight.
Last edited by Endo on Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mdrew

Post by mdrew »

Well if it was red, or maybe even blue I'd like it a lot more! :mrgreen:
Johnlyn

Post by Johnlyn »

I was looking around to find out if there was a mod to eliminate the blinking light and found this old thread. I also find it irritating. The mod I use for now is called "duct tape".
expy98

Post by expy98 »

interesting mod... mine is plugged into a power strip which is plugged into a GFCI outlet so there are 2 ways for me to turn off the blinking light
but I no longer turn it off. I used to turn it off at the strip and then some mornings when I'm half awake I go to turn on the machine
and it doesn't turn on and I freaked out thinking it's gone done blown up. Now I prefer the blinking light.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

These days I am always amazed when I walk around the house at night with the lights out to see how many LEDs blinking or otherwise there are in almost every room of the house. I actually have a GigE Switch behind the TV in my bedroom so I can branch off Ethernet connections to a printer, the TV, and the Blu-ray player. All those blinking lights finally got me to put tape over them. However, blinking lights in the rest of the house don't bother me.

I imagine the blinking standby light on the S1 is to let you know that it is receiving power and ready to be turned on. Otherwise, with a completely dark machine you don't know if it is just off or dead.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Johnlyn

Post by Johnlyn »

it serves a purpose, so I think the "duct tape" mod will be the way to go so that I can check if all the other sexy LED's are lit up in the morning.... Those ones I like.

Return to “General Q&A”