Brew pressure adjustment device - for during shot use ?

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
LJCoffeeGuy

Brew pressure adjustment device - for during shot use ?

Post by LJCoffeeGuy »

Hi all - had an idea.....could be dumb, though.

In reading about the Slayer, GS/3, Synesso and others with paddle group I had an idea.....

How hard would it be to implement this on an S1 V2 (or v1)? The above mentioned devices adjust pressure via paddle (and maybe water pressure). If pressure is the main variable, couldn't we mod our devices to adjust pressure 'in shot' as well?

Here's the idea: make a device to adjust the rotary pressure during the brew.
Option 1: drill a hole in the left panel and attach a long rod to the rotary pump screw (or replaces the screw). The rod would have a knob or something to turn.
Option 2: cut a hole in the splash guard and go hook up right angle adjuster (probably not as good)

With option 1, you may need to turn the knob quite a bit, or use something with gears to reduce the number of turns needed to go from say 7.5 - 10 bar.

Sound crazy? Probably is. If anyone has a left side panel they would like to donate (any color), I'll be happy to start a project.

Let me know if you think this is possible......

Darren
JmanEspresso

Re: Brew pressure adjustment device - for during shot use ?

Post by JmanEspresso »

I dont know if that is the way you want to go about doing pressure profiling...

BUT... If you go over on Home-Barista, and search for "TMFR Pump", you'll find a whole thread of a couple people who did some modifications to the pump, and have installed them on their machines, to allow for FULL pressure profiling, ala La Marzocco Strada, unlike "Pre Brew/Post Brew", Ala Slayer/Speedster.

The TMFR pump, If I understand how they're doing it, is a Electromagnetically controlled pump. Basically, what they're doing, is controlling the RPM of the pump itself, to affect the pressure. The control is by way of a potentiometer. Nicholas Lundgaard did it on his GS/3.

If you are willing and able to do the mods to the pump itself, you shoujld be able to install it on your VII. It would need to be an outboard pump, though.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

You will also note from reading the H-B thread & the linked to "taste tests" that so far no one has improved on what they got in the cup over the standard set up.
JmanEspresso

Post by JmanEspresso »

Yes, also a very good point. I would like to play around with pressure profiling, but I dont think Im going to put the effort forward to do a TMFR pump for my VII. Maybe Ill take a trip down to Texas and hang with Nick and Jon for a weekend. 2 GS3's, a Nino, A Robur, a K30, a Major and a VII. Could be a fun weekend :)
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

JmanEspresso wrote:Yes, also a very good point. I would like to play around with pressure profiling, but I dont think Im going to put the effort forward to do a TMFR pump for my VII. Maybe Ill take a trip down to Texas and hang with Nick and Jon for a weekend. 2 GS3's, a Nino, A Robur, a K30, a Major and a VII. Could be a fun weekend :)

That would be some very heavy & expensive carry on luggage with all the new fees airlines are assessing.

Return to “General Q&A”