Changing your set temperature during a session

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
JmanEspresso

Changing your set temperature during a session

Post by JmanEspresso »

Im curious about something on my VII.

Often times during a dialing-in session, well, everytime actually, I am playing with different temps. Usually, Im starting out at 92, and have been heading up to 93 and 94 for some coffees. I havent been out of that range, succesfully, yet. I have pulled shots at every setting, but the coffees Im using currently, havent needed them.

So, when you want to change your temp, so from 94 to 93, what is your/the procedure for making sure its not the just the light thats lit up, but that you are also actually getting that temp?

Say you pulled a shot at 94. You knock out the puck, flush the group/scrub the basket, and lock the PF back in.
-Taste the shot. MMM, fruit. Lets see if I can get some more body.
-Adjust down to 93

Now, if you pull another shot, are you going to get 93? No right?

What Ive been doing when changing temperature in between a session, is flushing the group so that the probe registers a drop, all the temp lights click off, and the group heats itself back up to my new set point. While its doing that, Im griding/dosing/tamping. When I come to pull a shot, I do a quick flush, the set temp light blinks, I lock in, and pull the shot when its solid.

Actually, for every shot, whether I changed temp or not, I do a quick spritz of the group, which usually causes the set temp light to blink. When It's solid, I pull. Now, say Ive pulled 2-3 shots at 93. If my next shot(s) are going to be at 93, I dont do anymore flushing, until I decide to change the temp again(if that happens), in which case, I do the above procedure, and then spritz the group real quick before the first 2-3 shots at that setting.

Should I be doing something differently??
What is your method of changing temperature DURING a session?
Is it different when your going down, then you when your going up?
Or am I doing it properly?
Dodger1

Re: Changing your set temperature during a session

Post by Dodger1 »

You're doing the same thing I do and we all know I'm never wrong ;)

FYI, while I was doing my pre-purchase dd I found the following:

"As was mentioned in Espresso Machines 101, an E61 group is too hot for brewing after being idle for 10-15 minutes and needs to be brought back to brew temperature with a cool down flush. The VII is different. Its group will be below brew temperature after being idle (and thus needs a blank shot or two to bring it up a few degrees), or if it has produced a shot recently, near precisely the desired brew temperature. Since the group is never overheated, you need to be aware of how you can inadvertently draw down the brew temperature. For example, forgetting to draw a blank after the machine has been idle or by keeping the portafilter out of the grouphead too long."

http://www.home-barista.com/la-spaziale ... mance.html
JmanEspresso

Post by JmanEspresso »

So, lets say then. . .

After the initial warm up flush(es), you could keep yourself on the safe side, by doing a quick spritzer flush before each shot? Im not exactly speedy gonzales in grinding/dosing/tamping, the PF is out of the group while im doing that. Ill time myself during my afternoon session today and see where Im at, Time wise.

Good to know Im at least on the right track.

Hey if anyone would like to loan me a Scace/Fluke, Ill roast some coffee for ya and return it promptly :)
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

You need to walk away & find something to do for a good ten minutes if you expect to see your new temp accurately reflected in your shot. You aren't just changing the temp of the boiler water but also the entire boiler/group assy. I used to set the new temp, pull a flush, set the stove timer for ten minutes or more and go read some emails, ect.
JmanEspresso

Post by JmanEspresso »

Alright, Ill give that a go in the morning and report back. That sounds about right, cuz, I had a feeling I wasnt getting the adjustment I thought I was this evening when I was playing with the WBC blend. I was trying to open some fruit out of that blend(and I KNOW its there, Ive tasted it), and it just wasnt happening.. even with some good flushing. Tmrw I will do some longer wait times in between and see where we're at..

i need a scace.
JmanEspresso

Post by JmanEspresso »

John, Thanks for the tip... Ten minute wait time is working nicely for temp changes.

For others reading this... Ten minutes sounds like a "long time"... But Actually set a timer for 10mins and see. Not bad at all, and honestly, at first i was like, "What?? I cant just flush the crap out of the group??" But then I realized two things. Ten minutes goes by in a snap, and is totally worth it for rock solid temps.

Having Scott Rao's Book handy is a nice way to do something in the meantime.

P.S. Accumulator installed... PI is actually usable past 2-3 seconds, and my extractions are DEAD ON. Apparently, the Flo-Jet DOES affect the extraction quality when used without an Accumulator. Not to mention, the VII is now REALLY quiet. Good lord I love Rotary pumps!

Return to “General Q&A”