Normal backflush output?

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
slo
Barista

Normal backflush output?

Post by slo »

I get very irregular backflush on my Vivaldi. Sometime it looks like there is full shot (exageration) gushing out and sometime there is only a few mililiters trickling out. Not that I mind but I do not see this could happen...

Is this normal, or others are experiencing this.
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
JohnB

Re: Normal backflush output?

Post by JohnB »

Do you dump the p/f after every backflush? If not try it & see if you see a difference.
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

Not everytime, certainly after the first clear water flush to clear the coffee grind, but not necessarly after. And yes it does make a difference. I cannot say that I have seen a clear corrolation between a filling the blind basket backflush output volume and a full blind basket backflush output volume.

JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I've seen the same variances from time to time but seem to get more of a "whoosh" when I dump between backflushes. I'll be retiring the Vivaldi soon & moving to a "new" machine so we'll see if this is just a Vivaldi thing or common.
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

I do realise that when the p/f is empty there is some air in the system that will make the backflush go more "whoosh" than if there is only water. But the issue under discussion (not really an issuen unless there is something wrong) is of varying water volume. I cannot quatify it. Nor did I want to do it unless someone tells me it is not normal.
JohnB wrote: I'll be retiring the Vivaldi soon & moving to a "new" machine so we'll see if this is just a Vivaldi thing or common.

Let me guess, you are getting one of the GS/3 with paddle that CC made available to the rich and insane?

JohnB

Post by JohnB »

slo wrote: Let me guess, you are getting one of the GS/3 with paddle that CC made available to the rich and insane?
If you think the GS3 Paddle is for the "rich & insane" you don't even want to know what I bought. I did briefly consider that machine but it doesn't really interest me although going that route would have saved me some $$$. Having fun on H-B?
michael
God Shot

Post by michael »

so what did you purchase 8)
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

michael wrote:so what did you purchase 8)
I bought the Speedster & kit that was just on the CG Buy & Sell.
speedster10.jpg
speedster10.jpg (53.62 KiB) Viewed 17218 times
It is being crated today so I should have it soon.
michael
God Shot

Post by michael »

very cool; latest model etc?

8) 8) 8)
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

michael wrote:very cool; latest model etc?

8) 8) 8)
Yes, it was brand new in late September. Only 3lbs of coffee through it. Comes with both sets of bodywork & much, much more!
michael
God Shot

Post by michael »

fantastic :mrgreen:

never even thought of looking there for something like this
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Slightly used Speedsters don't come up anywhere very often. I went back & forth about calling but my wife gave her blessing so I gave Paul a call & made an offer. 5 days later we worked out a deal & it was mine. Needless to say I'm not getting much sleep. Can't wait to open the crate & see it in person.
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

I am not worthy... I am not worthy... :shock:

Wohaw! I have actually exchanged with a speedster owner. I'll never wash my keyboard again... :drunken: I am drunked out of jalousy! And maybe also the bling ... :grin:

Dodger1

Post by Dodger1 »

That Speedster will have a good home with a true espresso aficionado; par excellence.

The only sad thing about this whole deal is that John is likely to stop posting on this site and that my friends will be a true shame because he has contributed a vast amount of very useful information and I for one will hate to see him go.

FYI, for those who don't know much about the Speedster, check out Mark's first look @
http://www.coffeegeek.com/proreviews/fi ... erespresso

I can't add much more to this, aside from wishing John the very best with his, as Mark states, "the best espresso machine in the world."
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

Dodger1 wrote:That Speedster will have a good home with a true espresso aficionado; par excellence.

The only sad thing about this whole deal is that John is likely to stop posting on this site and that my friends will be a true shame because he has contributed a vast amount of very useful information and I for one will hate to see him go.
I'll second that.I have learned a lot from my brief forum "exposure" to john. Chas has not left us, let's hope that John will keep in touch. (We are not worthy!).

chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

As you can see, I've adjusted both John and Wolfgang's Rank to match mine!
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

chas wrote:As you can see, I've adjusted both John and Wolfgang's Rank to match mine!
I'd have to say that I preferred the sound of my previous rank to the new one. Doesn't quite roll off the tongue the same. Keep in mind that I am still using my S1 while I await the rumored shipping of my Speedster.
Richard

Post by Richard »

JohnB wrote:Needless to say I'm not getting much sleep. Can't wait to open the crate & see it in person.
No sleep now? As they say, you ain't seen nothing yet. Just wait until that gearshift lever starts getting exercised to pull shots. :)
Dodger1

Post by Dodger1 »

Chas still has room on the header for a Speedster Site? Of course he'd want a Speedster, or at the very least, he'd want a Speedster for a couple of months of testing.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I don't think there should be any expectation on the amount of water that comes out of the 3-way. The purpose of the 3-way is not to shoot all the water in the PF out the 3-way, it's to take the pressure in the PF from 9bar - 1 bar. The effect will be multiplied by the air-water ratio in the PF at the time of release since air is compressible and water isn't.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

At last a reply that is linked to my OP! Thanks Chas.

It all make sense of course. I am just truing to fish out a potential iossue that may have existed. Given that the pump is creating the same pressure and that the P/F is full of water with little air bubbles. One would expect very similar volume of water coming out... That being said the variation is not so wild that I am really concerned. Thanks for the reply.

Of course, I do not mind that John took the spot light. Although as a espresso machine I think that it is grosssly overpriced, as a work of art and a decorative piece; It is worth the price in my eyes.

Return to “General Q&A”