dose size

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
michael
God Shot

dose size

Post by michael »

i was wondering how much coffee people were using in their doubles there days. for me, i generally use 16.5gs for most coffees: black cat, toscano and the ecco blends. i started out at 15gs, but over time moved up to a larger dose maybe because the basket looked a little empty or because i saw the baskets filled up to the top at my favorite coffee shops that tend to use synessos. i can generally fit 16+gs of most coffee in the double basket with only a slight impression from the bolt

for triples, i generally use between 19 and 20gs 8)
Endo

Re: dose size

Post by Endo »

I wasn't weighing for a long time, but now I'm back to using the scale.

The only real reason is because it saves me money by not over-grinding my expensive imported blends.

I presently am grinding 16.5g as well. I find that dose works best for most doubles.

I don't do triples (no basket).
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Lately I've been using 15g doses but it really depends on the bean/blend. I'll be drinking a lot more singles soon if everything goes according to plan. Might need a new tamper also. :grin:
michael
God Shot

Post by michael »

sounds like you are getting a new machine

what are you steppin up to 8)
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

michael wrote:sounds like you are getting a new machine

what are you steppin up to 8)

I don't know if "up" is the correct term. I am getting a completely different machine but the Vivaldi isn't going anywhere. I bought a chrome & brass Elektra Micro Casa a Leva & travel case from a supplier in Italy. Should ship within the next couple days, just waiting for Elektra to send him a 110v machine. https://brown.secure-host.com/espressocoffeeshop/ Should be a fun learning experience & I will no longer have to play Espresso roulette when we travel. I'll post some pics in my "Pride Page" thread once it gets here.
michael
God Shot

Post by michael »

three things

1. isnt the electra a bit heavy to travel with

2. althought i pulled 15g shots when i first got my vivaldi, the basket seems empty these days at that level

3. although my success rate is not great, i often enjoy trying to a good latte in a new town; completely struck out in several attempts on a trip to maine a few weeks ago (no one knew to keep the portafilter in the machine so it wouldnt be cold), but found a great spot in prescott arizona a few years ago 8)
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

michael wrote:three things

1. isnt the electra a bit heavy to travel with

2. althought i pulled 15g shots when i first got my vivaldi, the basket seems empty these days at that level

3. although my success rate is not great, i often enjoy trying to a good latte in a new town; completely struck out in several attempts on a trip to maine a few weeks ago (no one knew to keep the portafilter in the machine so it wouldnt be cold), but found a great spot in prescott arizona a few years ago 8)
23lbs isn't bad. Nothing compared to the SJ I will bring along next trip. My thighs are still sore from holding the Zass every morning on our 7 day trip last week. Keep in mind I travel by car, not plane. Try finding good espresso in eastern Tenn! I had one shot that was ok & another that was scary.
Endo

Post by Endo »

JohnB wrote: I bought a chrome & brass Elektra Micro Casa a Leva & travel case from a supplier in Italy.
Nice. Hope you didn't pay the $10909 they are asking on the website! :shock: I assume that's some computer glitch....or the Euro is climbing faster than I thought.

The Elektra Leva is an interesting choice to go with the Vivaldi. One is almost full auto, and the other is full-on manual.

I can see that Elektra getting a lot more use than just "travel". It matches your home decor very nicely.

The levers do take a lot of time to learn and... and are inherently finicky, but you can get some very satisfying shots when everythig goes right. I think this is partially do to the fact that you are in control of so many variables so you feel more proud of what you produce.

Now you just need a matching case so you can make a pair of BMW Elektra saddle bags. :lol:
JohnB's New Leva
JohnB's New Leva
bmw%20rs%2090.jpg (21.78 KiB) Viewed 15576 times
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Where did you see that price? All prices I see are the same as they have been all week. You deduct VAT from the posted prices so I paid about $1047 incl. shipping for the MCaL. $400 less then current U.S. pricing plus that includes a set of the "must have" Elektra cups which are $85 at 1st Line, a brush & a steaming pitcher. An outfit in N.J. handles the 1 year warranty for them.

That R90/S still looks great doesn't it?? A timeless beauty, like the MCaL. As far as hard luggage for the bikes goes I have several shelves in one of my shop buildings filled with them so I'm set for life although the Elektra cases would be classy. I had a hard time deciding between the MCaL & Semi Automatica but I wanted something completely different so the MCaL got the nod. When we get some more kitchen space I may pick up an S/A or a copper & brass Mini Verticale. I could see an Elektra "collection" taking up an entire island in the kitchen. :grin:
Endo

Post by Endo »

JohnB wrote:Where did you see that price?
Ahh. OK. I see the price now. Seems screwed up on the front page but clear once you click on the details. Good price.
JohnB wrote:I had a hard time deciding between the MCaL & Semi Automatica but I wanted something completely different so the MCaL got the nod.
The MCaL seems like more fun to play with, but since I prefer blends that favour updosing, I'd definitely go for the big 58mm basket on the Semi rather than the 49mm on the Leva. But it's just personal preference more than anything.

I was also a bit scared away from the levers when I tried a LaPavoni. I didn't like the way they move around on the small base. (Again, a preference thing only).

Still, as far as taste goes, they are both capable of same real amazing shots (so I've heard).
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I'm not big on updosing so it should work well for me. Typically I'm pulling single origin shots from beans I've roasted but since I've got several different Brazil, African & Central American varieties I'm going to try making my own espresso blends roasting each to a different level. I see myself drinking a lot of singles with the MCaL as that seems to be what it really is designed for.

We'll see how much it moves around with a rubber pad under it. If I'm not happy I'll make a wooden base that will hold it in place. It left Italy yesterday & cleared customs in Newark this morning so I should see it soon.

With a 49mm lever & a 53mm semi auto DB I guess the next addition would have to be a 58mm HX. Maybe a restoration project of some classic machine.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

The MCaL arrived yesterday & I've been enjoying some wonderful s/o espresso singles & a double(Cappo). I don't know what the steep learning curve stuff is all about as I can't imagine a machine that would be easier to get great espresso from. Endo you would love the microfoam this beauty turns out. Silky smooth Latex foam seems to be all it is capable of creating & I'm no steaming pro.
I picked up the MCaL base that was for sale on CG so with the free Elektra cup set & the aluminum travel case I guess I'm set. Still need to get my 53mm RB base turned down but the plastic tamper that came with the machine is working for now. No additional import duties added at customs so it was an even better deal then I originally thought. Everything was well packed, came strapped to a small skid & was covered with shrink wrap. Once the base arrives & I find a permanent spot for the Leva I'll post some pics.
oton

Post by oton »

JohnB wrote: I can't imagine a machine that would be easier to get great espresso from. Endo you would love the microfoam this beauty turns out. Silky smooth Latex foam seems to be all it is capable of creating & I'm no steaming pro.
Ohhh please, shut up! :hmph:

:thumbleft: Congrats for the purchase, John. Nice machine. I've been thinking that if I buy another machine it would be a manual machine. But I have no money and no more space for another coffee gadget! Do for us a little review of this machine please.
blowery

Post by blowery »

To reply to the original question, I'm using ~ 15g in a double now. I was filling the basket and tamping without measuring (which I found was more like 16.5 ~ 17g), but have been getting better results grinding a slight bit finer and using a little less coffee. I'm using a home roasted Yemen Mohka (the Haimi from Sweet Marias), just at FC. I'm getting a nice tight ristretto, about 1.5oz in ~ 30s from hitting the double button.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

blowery wrote: I'm using a home roasted Yemen Mohka (the Haimi from Sweet Marias), just at FC. I'm getting a nice tight ristretto, about 1.5oz in ~ 30s from hitting the double button.
Did you try any of SM's Yemen Sana'ani before it sold out? If so how does the Haimi compare?
blowery

Post by blowery »

Nope, I missed it. :( I really like the Haimi and the Ismaili though, still experimenting with roast levels. I generally go a few cracks into second, but I've got a Haimi sitting that was stopped a few F before SC even starts to think about starting. One thing I can echo from the reviews, you definitely need to rest these things. They're pretty good 48 hours out, but they get much better as time goes on. Havn't taken any past a week though.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I found with the Sana'ani that it didn't hit its prime until 7-8 days past roast & was good until 14 days or so. Don't be afraid to let it go into the second week as it should just get better. I've had the same experience with some Ethiopians & many commercial blends. What are you using for a roaster?
blowery

Post by blowery »

HotTop B, with Randy's bean probe mod. I record most of my roasts and have them up at http://github.com/blowery/roasts/tree/master, though you'll need a recent Office to see them. I also have some of them up in http://blowery.org/category/coffee/ as html tables / magic graphs.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Since we are using the same roaster my rest time experience should be applicable. Personally I don't start using any of my roasts; vac pot, espresso, ect until day 5. I tried some earlier but was never happy with the brew.

I tried Randy's probe t/c but ended up putting both through the wall using an Omega t/c designed for oven use. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=1128 I've got them plugged into an Apollo data logging meter but haven't bothered saving any as I seem to always be trying something a little bit different each time. I keep notes on each roast in my roasting log to refer back to.

Return to “General Q&A”