Volumetric Dosing...NOT!

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
Endo

Volumetric Dosing...NOT!

Post by Endo »

This volumetric dosing doesn't work well on slow shots like ristrettos. I switched beans and accidently lengthend my shot time from 25 sec to about 50 sec, but at the end of 50 sec I had only half the volume as before. I figured it should have run until the volumes were the same, but it didn't.

It's not the p/i since I was running that on my earlier shot as well. Aslo, there is no way grounds absoption can account for that much volume change. I wonder if it has anything to do with the mysterious Mini flowmeter movement and the vibe pump (since a very slow pour is almost like backflushing.... which is also screwed up).
JohnB

Re: Volumetric Dosing...NOT!

Post by JohnB »

Should have bought the MK2, I hear they are much better. :lol:
David23

Post by David23 »

I had the same situation with recent long pulls. My programed dose also shut off "early" producing much less volume. I have since extended the programed dose to far past what I would normally use, and am mannually stopping pulls based on how it looks. I'm still using Espresso Toscano from Counter Culture, and pulling shots anywhere from 35 to 55 seconds for 1-2ozs. Maybe after a lot more experimenting, and deciding on a more "standard" time/volume that I like, I will go back to programed doses.
Endo

Post by Endo »

I mostly shut it off manually as well.

Still, I wonder why it doesn't work? Is this is just a Mini thing.

Any comments you Maxi owners? :lol:
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Endo wrote:I mostly shut it off manually as well.

Still, I wonder why it doesn't work? Is this is just a Mini thing.

Any comments you Maxi owners? :lol:
I can only speak as an S1V2 owner, never heard of a Maxi. :roll: I never use the volumetric dosing to time my shots as I always cut them off manually. One button is set for 2.5oz flushes & the other is programmed for about 4 oz so it never runs dry during a shot. My long shots always blond before reaching the same volume as a standard 25 sec shot. Isn't that the idea of a Ristretto? Longer time, less volume, sweeter taste. How many ounces did you have programmed in?
Endo

Post by Endo »

JohnB wrote: I can only speak as an S1V2 owner, never heard of a Maxi. :roll:
Aren't the Mini owners S1V2 as well? Doh! :smile:

JohnB wrote: How many ounces did you have programmed in?
I have my 2 cup button set to 4 oz as well for the reasons you describe (cleaning, manual shut-off). I set my 1 cup button for my ristrettos (at about 1oz). I like the auto cut-off for the ristretto since usually I'm busy cleaning or preparing milk.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Endo wrote: I have my 2 cup button set to 4 oz as well for the reasons you describe (cleaning, manual shut-off). I set my 1 cup button for my ristrettos (at about 1oz). I like the auto cut-off for the ristretto since usually I'm busy cleaning or preparing milk.
So which one cut off at 50 seconds? If it was the 1 oz setting I'm surprised it made it that far. If it was the 4 oz button it must be a Mini thing as my S1 would have continued long past that point.
Endo

Post by Endo »

JohnB wrote: So which one cut off at 50 seconds? If it was the 1 oz setting I'm surprised it made it that far. If it was the 4 oz button it must be a Mini thing as my S1 would have continued long past that point.
It was the 1 oz that cut out at 50 sec. I only got about 1/2 oz. This was after a switch to very fresh beans. Perhaps they absorded a lot more than the older beans? Seems like a lot though.

The guy at the local coffee store might have lied to me about the roast date (they are morons). Still, the taste was not too bad so I assume it wasn't much more than 2 weeks from roast.
Niko

Post by Niko »

The only thing the volumetric dosing is good for is to cut off the shot incase someone distracts you with a phone call or something like that :lol:
I have my buttons programmed for 2oz and 4oz (of coffee) so the blank shots (of water) are larger. The single cup button is my larger capacity since the coffee cup on the graphic is larger :lol: The double cup is the shorter shot :-P
...hey, it's me what what else would you expect?
RapidCoffee

Post by RapidCoffee »

Same here, except I've got the double programmed for slightly over 2oz. I never let a pour run to completion, always hit the button again when it blonds.

Return to “General Q&A”