Steam Boiler Solenoid Fill Valve - Inlet Filter

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
bikerdude
Americano

Steam Boiler Solenoid Fill Valve - Inlet Filter

Post by bikerdude »

Hey Experts,

I have a Mini Vivaldi II S1 which I have abused with lightly filtered water for a over decade.

Recently I found the steam boiler was not filling; the pump would run for the 90sec or so and then the system would shut down and the boiler error light would come on.

I assumed that my steam boiler fill solenoid valve was either clogged or not opening properly. So I disconnected the Teflon tube at the 90 degree boiler fill elbow (after the valve) and it doesn’t pump any water when I start the machine. Then I disconnected the feed line just before the boiler fill solenoid valve it it pumps perfectly well. So the solenoid fill valve is either blocked or not engaging. I will test these voltage in the solenoid shortly, however in the meantime ...

I decided to remove the boiler fill valve and soak it in citric acid for a few days. It now has a bright new colour and I removed all the crud from inside the valve body. But I also found a solid looking tiny screen, and I can’t tell it if it is fully blocked or if it’s supposed to look so solid. Any thoughts? Should I use it as is, leave it in citric acid for a few more days, or just throw it in the bin?
Attachments
BB642ECF-5F26-43DC-9D87-335FD191DBBA.jpeg
BB642ECF-5F26-43DC-9D87-335FD191DBBA.jpeg (60.1 KiB) Viewed 2566 times
bikerdude
Americano

Re: Steam Boiler Solenoid Fill Valve - Inlet Filter

Post by bikerdude »

Also, I found a tiny copper washer on the table when I pulled the mesh filter out. Does it go on the valve side of the mesh filter, or on the line side of the filter?
bikerdude
Americano

Post by bikerdude »

Quick check of the parts manual on Chris Coffee shows I should install the washer first (part 1131), then the filter (2284), then attach the line.

Still hoping for input from others about that filter. Use it, soak it, replace it or don’t bother with it?
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

http://s1cafe.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t= ... 266#p24266

Check this discussion and yes that's the right diagram. If you've soaked it it's probably clean enough since it's a loose fit in the valve.
Bob
La Spaziale Dream and Baratza Sette 270W
bikerdude
Americano

Post by bikerdude »

Quick update. I installed the existing mesh filter pretty much as is (per the photo above), having soaked it in citric acid for a day.

Upon installation the machine filled the boiler within about five seconds ... something I haven’t witnessed for a year or more.

I’m happy for now, until the next issue pops up.

Thanks for your input.

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”