Pump stuck to the motor

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
mmg
Macchiato

Pump stuck to the motor

Post by mmg »

As my pump has started to not engage every once in a while (no grinding noise that I could detect), I wanted to see the debris for myself before ordering the replacement.
I unscrewed the collar, I though loosening was enough, but I went the whole way. However the pump is clearly stuck to the motor and the amount of force I am applying is more than I like near thin brass lines I have already broken...
Am I missing something? Did it just get stuck over time?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Pump stuck to the motor

Post by chas »

Did you completely remove the collar after removing the screw?
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
mmg
Macchiato

Post by mmg »

I did, to no avail.
I had to move it to the "workbench", get the motor+pump assembly out and hammer in a razor blade on the entire circumference before the two came apart.
Usual amount of shavings, luckily the motor still turns beautifully (by hand).
The pump does not, should it? It turns, of course, but with a decent amount of resistance.
I am ordering a new pump regardless.
I am a bit upset that the next pump will be the same and likely fail soon or later. I wonder if what other parts could be used.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

You may want to read this old thread: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1290&p=21230&hilit=johnb#p21230
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
mmg
Macchiato

Post by mmg »

I read that, it makes me wonder if I should still replace the bearing for good measure, even though the motor seems to turn fine. There might be a noise, but it seems to be the noise of any electric motor.

What stops me is not understanding if I can get the bearing out without a bearing splitter, which is not exactly cheap.

Regardless, I will cost it with grease and drill a larger hole.

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”