Upgrading - Livia 90 to S1 or Brewtus?

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
earache

Upgrading - Livia 90 to S1 or Brewtus?

Post by earache »

Need some help making a purchase decision... hoping you can help.

I've decided to upgrade from my Livia. Currently looking at the Brewtus II and the S1. Both look like excellent machines and are a huge step up from by Livia. The S1 is much nicer looking than the Brewtus, but it's huge in comparison. It also has an odd sized portafilter which I'm not too keen about. But the biggest ding against the S1 for me is that it needs to be plumbed in. I have an under sink water filter with a 1/4" output... from what I've read this might not be a problem as long as the pressure is high enough.

For me, both of these machines appear to be about even and I don't think I could go wrong with either. Tough to make a decision. Thoughts anyone? TIA
zak42

Post by zak42 »

Wow, I've never considered plumbing it in to be a downside. I run mine off a flojet and a 5 gallon jug, works great, i could never go back to a pourover machine.

The brewtus is by all accounts a fine machine, i don't think you'd go wrong with either one, but for the now small gap in price the S1 gets you the volumetric dosing, rotary pump & plumb in.

I wouldn' t let the PF size worry you unless you already have a lot of 58mm gear, just remember to budget another $50 for a new tamper (I love my 52.5mm Reg Barber)
ishcoco

Post by ishcoco »

Don't buy into the whole p/f thing... The S1 build quality is better, IMHO. I also feel that the S1 is more of a commercial machine. Plumbing the machine in is a wonderful thing - I would never go back to a pourover. I've had my S1 for 4-5 months now, and love it more every day.

Ben
Barry

Post by Barry »

Have owned my S1 for a little over a year and would buy the same machine again in a heart beat. What you may consider negatives, many of us consider a positive. I went from an Isomac Tea to the S1. After having a plumbed in machine, you will never go back. I find the 53mm portafilter has significantly less channeling problems than the 58mm. If water flows out of your 1/4" output such that you can fill a glass in less than 30 seconds, you will have no issue. Basically, you need a minimal amount of positive pressure. The rotary pump doesn't want to "pull" the water. Using the John Guest connectors that are available through Chris's Coffee or any Home Depot/Lowes, you can make the connections in less than 15 minutes.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
earache

Post by earache »

I can get around the plumbing issue I think, just have to find a clean way to do it. The physical size is another thing... it's 6" wider than my Livia. It's going to be a squeeze to get it onto my counter, but if it's the better machine I'll find a way to do it.

I can see how the smaller PF could be a benefit, just was thinking it was smaller than most other PF's and that it was unusual.

So what do you think about the S1 not having an E61 group? Everyone says that E61 is the best, but is it really all it's cracked up to be?

Thanks for your help with this decision of mine. Without being able to see/touch these machines, it's hard to make an educated decision.
earache

Post by earache »

Ok, I think I just ran into another problem. While I do have a 20A circuit feeding my kitchen and can install a 20A socket for a 20A S1, I found that my fridge, toaster and grinder will all be on the same circuit. Somehow I don't think that's going to work. I haven't calculated out the amps used yet, but maybe 5A for the fridge, at least 10A for the toaster, and almost 17A worst case for the S1... pop! So maybe the 15A configuration is the only way to go. Thoughts?
sraike

Post by sraike »

earache wrote:Ok, I think I just ran into another problem. While I do have a 20A circuit feeding my kitchen and can install a 20A socket for a 20A S1, I found that my fridge, toaster and grinder will all be on the same circuit. Somehow I don't think that's going to work. I haven't calculated out the amps used yet, but maybe 5A for the fridge, at least 10A for the toaster, and almost 17A worst case for the S1... pop! So maybe the 15A configuration is the only way to go. Thoughts?
As the others have already said, once you have a plumbed in machine you'll never go back to a pourover. I have my S1 tapped into a 1/4" line off an under-counter water filter and it works fine and it is ocer 20' away. I too have a 20A kitchen circuit that the refrigerator is also on. My S1 came with the 20A plug so I just switched outlets and set the machine for 15A just in case both items come on at the same time. Have no problems and the S1 will work just fine for you in 15A mode. I have not plugged a toaster in while both are on so no experience there. The S1 is a rated as a commercial machine and I'm sure it'll serve you well for quite some time.

Good luck,
Stu
earache

Post by earache »

Well it looks like I've made a decision... once all the facts were out there it was a pretty easy decision to make. The Brewtus is such a good value for the money and it's plug and play to boot, E61 too, while the S1 had to be plumbed and was so much larger, more expensive and I also had to worry about my 20A circuit. So thanks for all of your help and inputs. I think I'll be a much more active member of this forum in the near future. :D

Return to “General Q&A”