Steam wand sucks milk

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
oton

Steam wand sucks milk

Post by oton »

I notice that the steam wand sometimes sucks some milk. Could this milk get into the boiler? :shock:
Endo

Re: Steam wand sucks milk

Post by Endo »

oton wrote:I notice that the steam wand sometimes sucks some milk. Could this milk get into the boiler? :shock:
I seriously doubt it.

Only problem might be blocked tip holes (but even this is unlikely due to the large size). Still, I think it is "standard barista practice" to keep a wet towel next to the wand and give the wand a quick wipe right after steaming and then a quick blast after the wipe to clean out the holes. Look at any pro barista steaming milk on You-Tube.

If you follow this technique, you should never have a problem.

Some people let the wand soak in water to clean it. (A bad practice in my opinion). If you turn off the machine while it is soaking, the cool-down will create a vacuum in the steam boiler and the milky water might get sucked in before the vacuum breaker opens. But this is the only case where I have seen this happen.

Return to “Mini General Q&A”