3 Way Tube Misses Drip Tray - Help Finding Post

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
dialydose

3 Way Tube Misses Drip Tray - Help Finding Post

Post by dialydose »

This is my first post on this site. I have been a Vivaldi owner for about 3 years (second machine) and have lurked on this site for some time. I post on Home-Barista under the same user name. I wanted to see if someone here could point me towards a post that I am fairly certain I have seen here, but can't for the life of me find again. I am having an issue (I think a fairly common one) with the tube that leads from the 3 way valve to the drip tray. It isn't aimed all that well and I end up with water on the counter, especially after backflushing, when some of the water misses the corner of the drip tray. I could have sworn that I saw a post here with pics of someone who added a short piece of tubing to the end to get all the water into the drip tray. I may be losing my mind though as I searched every term that I could think of here to find it to no avail. I am curious what material and size the tubing is. Also, if anyone has come up with a different solution to this issue I am all ears. I tried zip tying the tube to the valve next to it, but it still isn't quit far enough over and some water still misses the drip tray. Thanks in advance for any help.
MDL
Barista

Re: 3 Way Tube Misses Drip Tray - Help Finding Post

Post by MDL »

I used a short piece of silicone rubber tubing to extend the copper tube to the top of the drip tray. This completely eliminated the water missing the drip tray. The "original" poster used a black hose of some sort, if my memory is correct. I don't think that it matters what you use as long as you channel the spray down directly into the drip tray.
Good luck,
Mark
dialydose

Post by dialydose »

Thanks for the reply Mark. Does 3/4 sound about right in terms of size, if you recall?
Endo

Post by Endo »

I didn't find anything about adding a tube, but I did find a few post referring to how the tube is different lengths on different machines so some seem to miss the tray::

http://www.s1cafe.com./viewtopic.php?f= ... 33c5#p7676

The answer seems pretty simpe enough; just bend it a little. Not too much tough! (Don't pinch it closed).
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

I don't recall what I used (I just grabbed a couple of different sizes from the lab at work) but it was smaller than 3/4" (ID).
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Some info & a pic in this old thread: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=713&p=7918#p7918
dialydose

Post by dialydose »

Thanks John, that is the link I was recalling (I am glad I have not lost my mind, yet). After a few trips to the hardware store and some adjusting, I was able to afix a tube that now directs all the water to the drip tray.

In some respects though I am a little frustrated with the deal still. On my previous S1 machine, I didn't have this issue. When I took the front panel off and watched the water during a backflush, I was shocked. It have to be 50/50 at best in terms of the water that actually went into the drip tray. Even zip tying it to the other pipe didn't help that much (which is as far as I could have bent it as others have suggested). I don't know how this isn't corrected in manufacturing or how it is missed during testing. Pretty poor design in my mind.

In any event, I have a dry counter now and wonderful espresso as always so I can't be too upset!
Endo

Post by Endo »

dialydose wrote:I don't know how this isn't corrected in manufacturing or how it is missed during testing. Pretty poor design in my mind.
The design is fine, the manufacturing sucks. The line inspector is probably some executive's grandpa at LaSpaziale and he was proabably taking a siesta when your machine was being made.

I would have returned it and demanded another. Only way they learn.
dialydose

Post by dialydose »

Endo wrote: The design is fine, the manufacturing sucks. The line inspector is probably some executive's grandpa at LaSpaziale and he was proabably taking a siesta when your machine was being made.

I would have returned it and demanded another. Only way they learn.
I should have said manufacture instead of desine, and I understand your point regarding sending it back...however, I had already returned the first machine they sent due to a boiler fill issue. Chris Coffee was really great about the whole thing and I didn't want to return another machine over such an easily fixable issue.

Return to “General Q&A”