Waterlevel - Steam

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
wgaggl

Waterlevel - Steam

Post by wgaggl »

Does anyone know how if there's a way on the S1 to lower the filling level in the steam boiler? I'd like to improve the steaming capabilities to get more dry steam by lowering the water level.
okaychatt

Is the steam adequate without tweaking...

Post by okaychatt »

...to pull four shots close together with foamed milk ?

It would seem that it is, but I was wondering why it might be desireable to lower the water level in the boiler?

I'm considering an S1.

Thanks.
bobroseman

Re: Is the steam adequate without tweaking...

Post by bobroseman »

okaychatt wrote:...to pull four shots close together with foamed milk ?

It would seem that it is, but I was wondering why it might be desireable to lower the water level in the boiler?

I'm considering an S1.

Thanks.
Kay,

I think that the S1 steam capacity is adequate for most uses. My S1 produces all of the steam I need to produce back to back grande lattes for wife and daughter (each with 12 oz of milk) and still produce 1 liter of hot water which is just the amount needed for my french press.

I could be wrong but the presumption that the steam is produced solely in the space above the water and therefore is dependent on the water level, is, I believe, somewhat misleading. Consider what happens when the overpressure is reduced on the superheated water as when the steam valve is opened. Liquid becomes a vapour (ie steam). The process causes the temperature and pressure to drop. The more water there is the longer the process continues.

As regards the term "dry steam", I believe that it may be interperted as being produced by a system that doesn't suck liquid water out of the reservoir and into the milk. Other than that, I believe at 1.5 bar, the partial pressure of water vapour in the air above the water is the same no matter how much water is in the steam boiler. In other words, at a given temp and pressure, the percent of water vapour is fixed and the air can't be dryer or wetter.

I don't have any reservations about the S1's steaming capacity and neither should you, Kay.

Bob
wgaggl

Post by wgaggl »

Don't worry about the S1's steaming capabilities, it's superior to most other machines on the consumer market. I was just wonding to fine-tune it. Okaychatt, you might have noticed, that many people on Coffeegeek and here are trying to tweak every parameter of their equipment, and if there's nothing to tweak, they gain at least more insight and understanding. Here it's of course about the S1, a machine that keeps amazing me.

Bob, you're of course right: Water is needed to feed the steam pillow above with energy as it cools of rapidly when steaming. Bottomline, there's an optimum water-level, which allows for the maximum possible ratio between steam volume and rapid pressure loss from steaming.

Cheers,
Wolfgang
okaychatt

Steam question settled

Post by okaychatt »

<many people on Coffeegeek and here are trying to tweak every parameter of their equipment, and if there's nothing to tweak, they gain at least more insight and understanding

Ok - it's not my idea of a swell time, but I'm glad others enjoy doing that.

I just want to pull my shots, make my microfoam, and get on with the socializing.

Would you take a look at my post under General Q and A? Thanks.

Return to “General Q&A”